Monday, May 12, 2014

April 2014 Birchbox

I received my first Birchbox today! I ordered it on April 21 and finally received it 3 weeks later (ETA was 5/8, but I guess that's what you get for living in Hawai`i). I accidentally registered for Birchbox twice so I received two boxes this month (they happily credited my card for one box, even though it was my error). I had answered my quiz with the same answers so the items in both boxes were exactly the same. This is what was in my box:



  • Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner - Bhura
  • Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle
  • Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream - Light to Medium
  • Color Club Gala's Gem Collection - Aquamarine Azulino
  • KIND Healthy Grain Bar - Maple Pumpkin Seeds with Sea Salt

Sumita Color Contrast Eyeliner (Bhura)
I have been using the same eyeliner for years and was excited to try something new. I usually use a MAC Fluidline for my upper lids and a MAC twist up pencil for my lower lids, both in a black color. Bhura is described as a brown color, but it looks like a deep purple color to me. I applied this to my upper lids and it seemed smooth. Then I applied it to my lower lids and the color clumped in my lashes. The clumping caused particles to get stuck in my eye, irritating it. I had to remove all the liner completely. Needless to say, I will definitely NOT be converting eyeliners anytime soon.

Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle

I love hair products so I was excited to see this item was coming in my box. Some of it spilled in one of my boxes, but it smelled great and the spill did not deplete much of the bottle's contents. This product claims to do all of the following: instant detangled, thermal protector, UV protector, seals cuticle, smoothes hair, locks in color, adds shine, weightless, non-greasy, conditions, for all hair types. I'm not sure if all these claims are true, although I can attest that it does smooth my hair (although my hair is already pretty smooth) and is non-greasy. I also really like the smell. It kind of smells like coconut and vanilla and matches my current shampoo/conditioner regimen. Not sure if I would buy this since I like my current hair products and I think they work better than this one. I currently use a variety of Organix (now known as Ogx) and I love how they make my hair soft and shiny.

Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream (Light to Medium)

I have never been a fan of foundations... this cream has not changed my opinion. The cream feels sticky on my skin and the coverage is far from flawless. Then again, I'm pretty critical of the term "flawless." The coverage of this cream though was not even adequate, but it's okay, I prefer the natural look anyway. 
(5/16) After I tried this and didn't like it, I gave it to my mom to try; she's been trying to find something similar to use. She said she liked the texture and it felt like it wasn't heavy or greasy. She mentioned that the coverage was minimal but liked that it has SPF 30 in it.

Color Club Gala's Gem Collection (Aquamarine Azulino)

This is by far my favorite item in this box! I've already painted my toenails and I absolutely LOVE it! I was originally hoping to get two different colors, but I'm now satisfied that both are the same color. This sample was the perfect size since I like to change my toenail colors often and I don't like larger bottles because it gets harder to use as the contents are reduced and as the polish ages. Application was truly flawless with a smooth, glossy finish; I used two coats. Aquamarine Azulino is a "pearly sky blue with a hint of shimmer," according to the BB description and I believe it is accurate. The polish that got on my skin completely came off after taking a shower. 
(5/13) Overnight, the polish hadn't completely dried yet so my sheets imprinted on my big toe (because it has the thickest coat of polish). This is common with many of the lower grade polishes, so I just added another coat. I still love this polish.
(5/14) Okay, now this polish is getting on my nerves. I added the one additional coat in the afternoon yesterday, and tonight, I sat with my feet under me and the fabric of the chair I was sitting on imprinted on my big toe. I can't believe how long it takes for this polish to set, not sure if I would buy this on the reg.

KIND Healthy Grain Bar (Maple Pumpkin Seeds with Sea Salt)

I have seen this in Target and in commercials so I was happy that I would finally get to try it. I am not impressed. It tastes like an energy bar, which I am not a fan of, and the texture is a bit too crunchy and crumbly for my taste. I'm not a fan of messy foods either. KIND bars will continue to be absent from my shopping list.

I really like being able to try different products and I'm pretty happy with the ones I've gotten to try this month. Here are the products I will be receiving and reviewing next month:



If you're interested in subscribing to Birchbox, please let me know so I can refer you!

XOXO,

Sami

No comments:

Post a Comment